Gold is one of the world’s most precious and rare metals and has always fascinated humans because of its unique qualities. Gold has been around for centuries and has been treasured over the years.
Here are 10 interesting facts about Gold:
- Gold is one of the heaviest metals in the Periodic Chart, but it is also incredibly soft and very malleable. Even one gram of Gold can be flattened into thin sheets and turned into jewellery.
- You can eat Gold! It’s safe to eat in the form of glitter or gold leaf, pure Gold isn’t toxic, and you can often find it in chocolate or even served on steak.
- It has been estimated that around 190,000 tons of Gold have been mined throughout history. All of the Gold ever mined would fit into 3 Olympic swimming pools.
- Did you know that Gold can conduct heat and electricity? Its conductivity is slightly lower than copper and silver, but it does not tarnish quickly, which means it lasts much longer than other metals.
- 22-carat Gold is the standard for UK Gold Coins. The first Gold coins appeared in around 700 BC. Gold Brittania coins were moved to 24ct (fine gold) in 2013.
- Gold is a brilliant way of preserving wealth from one generation to another as it has a history of holding its wealth. Its natural scarcity and high production cost are the main reasons it holds value.
- Scientists believe that Gold is formed from supernovae and neutron star collisions. This means other plants like Mercury, Mars and Venus could also have Gold.
- Researchers in Australia found that the Eucalyptus trees have Gold in their leaves. The Eucalyptus roots can go over 130 feet underground for water. Gold is often found in underground water, so it makes sense that the Eucalyptus tree picks up gold particles that are absorbed and transferred to its leaves.
- One-fifth of all the Gold owned by the government in the world is stored underneath the Bank of England on Threadneedle Street in London. The vaults hold 5,134 tonnes of Gold. The reason why so many people invest in physical Gold is that you own it outright. This means you are not reliant on banks or other financial institutions.
- The reason why so many people invest in physical Gold is that you own it outright. This means you are not reliant on banks or other financial institutions.
As you can see, there are so many amazing facts about Gold, which is why we’ve been in the gold business for over 200 years! If you’d like to learn more about how to invest in Gold, you can contact us here.